The Zabludowicz Collection is a philanthropic endeavour encompassing a dynamic and growing collection of art works with an associated programme of exhibitions and events in permanent venues in the UK, USA and Finland. As a living collection we are always looking to the future as well as safeguarding and conserving the past and have a long history of supporting public institutions and national collections.
Inaugurated in 2007, Zabludowicz Collection's London project space presents a varied programme of self-initiated group and solo exhibitions, commissions and residencies, drawing on works from the collection or new works by artists linked to the collection. The programme features initiatives supporting emerging artists and curators including the Invites series, which offers emerging artists without UK commercial gallery representation the opportunity to produce a solo exhibition and event, and Testing Ground, an annual season exploring art and education working with London's premier universities.
The former Methodist chapel that houses the collection was built between 1867 and 1871, in the Corinthian style and was the main place of worship for the Methodist community in north London. In 1963, the building was taken over by the London Drama School, which pioneered the Russian branch of method acting in the UK. In 2004, when The London Drama Centre moved to new premises in Clerkenwell the building fell into disrepair. Zabludowicz Collection purchased the Grade II listed building in 2005 and it was restored with a minimum of interference to its natural fabric by Allford Hall Monaghan and Morris. It reopened to the public in September 2007 as the London home of the Zabludowicz Collection, its historical and layered architecture providing a rich and challenging space for the presentation of contemporary art. In 2010 the foyer was redesigned by Michael Marriott.
Since 2010 Zabludowicz Collection has initiated an international residency programme for invited artists on the island of Sarvisalo in Loviisa, Finland. The residency programme offers an open-ended and discursive environment for the production of art. Artists and practitioners from many disciplines spend up to a month researching and working on the island, sometimes producing works that remain in situ, or using the time to develop future projects and collaborations.
These informal residencies take place across three locations on the island: the Carpenter's House, Herman's and Suvikunta, which retain the names and histories of their previous owners. The barns and house at Carpenter's were the first to be renovated and include a workshop that is for use by the residency artists.
Herman's is located in Härkäpää, the main village of the island, this property features a central, lovingly restored 17th century wooden Manor House, a large gallery impeccably converted from a granite and wood barn, and numerous original and more contemporary farm buildings. The main house and the estate were founded in the mid-17th century by Zacharias Johannes Stacheus, vicar of the Pernå parish where Sarvisalo is located, later becoming a cavalry hall and accommodation for military men and their horses. The estate returned to the family of its founder in 1808 and eventually become a family home and working farm.
Suvikunta is the largest and most recent addition to the collection's homes. It was acquired from one of Finland's largest publishing houses Werner Söderström Osakeyhtiö (WSOY), who had established it as a retreat for the company's staff and writers in 1937, and which continued to offer a peaceful environment to work until the company sold the property in 2010. Consisting of a main house with cooking, dining and dormitory facilities and a number of small sleeping cottages throughout the site, Suvikunta is the hub for the residencies.
Works from the Collection are installed across all three locations and can be visited only by prior arrangement. Access is by appointment on designated Tour Days only.
At the heart of New York City, on one of the busiest corners of Times Square, 1500 Broadway houses a selection of works from the Zabludowicz Collection. The programme at 1500 consists of temporary exhibitions and events. The lobby is open to the public during office hours.
The iconic 34-storey skyscraper at 1500 Broadway was completed in 1972 by Arlen Realty & Development Corporation and features the iconic NASDAQ ticker tape that wraps around the 7th floor. The building was acquired by Tamares Real Estate in 1995 and is home to ABC's Good Morning America television show as well as Times Square Studios, Disney, NASDAQ, and the English-language newspaper China Daily.
2015 - November
Zabludowicz Collection initiates new artists’ residency programme in Las Vegas
Mark Bradford, Riding the Cut Vein, 2014, Acquired for the Tate Collection with assistance from Poju and Anita Zabludowicz, Noam Gottesman, an anonymous donor, the North American Acquisitions Committee (Tate Americas Foundation)
2012 - June
The first works of art are installed in specially repurposed buildings on Sarvisalo and after almost two years Matthew Day Jackson’s, permanent work Hauta, 2012 is unveiled to the public
2011 - March
First exhibitions and projects take place in New York at 1500 Broadway
2010 - October
SUNDAY launches its first art fair in London, sponsored by Zabludowicz Collection Rebranding of the Collection takes place and an ongoing working relationship with designers Malcolm Southward and Mark Holt.
2010 - September
Project Space 176 is renamed Zabludowicz Collection to reflect the growing activities of the collection in Finland and America. zabludowiczcollection.com website is launched
2010 - June
First residencies in Sarvisalo, Finland take place: artists are invited to spend time without a specified outcome. Artist Matthew Day Jackson is invited to produce the first permanent work for the island.
2009 - April
Whitechapel Gallery reopens to the public with the newly renovated extension into the former Whitechapel library. Zabludowicz Collection sponsors the renovation and a specially produced gallery for community related art projects.
2007 - September
When We Build, Let Us Think That We Build Together curated by Jerome Sans and Mustafa Hulusi of works from Zabludowicz Collection opens at BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art, Gateshead.
2007 - September
Project Space 176 opens to the public with An Archaeology - an exhibition drawn from the Zabludowicz Collection.
Tamares purchases 176 Prince of Wales Road a former Methodist Chapel and Method Acting School: The North London Drama Centre and leases it to the Zabludowicz Art Projects, a registered charity set up by the Zabludowicz family to produce contemporary art exhibitions and events that are free for all audiences.
2004 - October
Zoo Art Fair debuts at London Zoo, Regents Park. It is sponsored by Zabludowicz Collection and Tamares Isaac Julian Vagabonia, 2000, Acquired for the Tate Collection with assistance from the American Patrons of Tate (Eileen-Harris Norton and the Peter Norton Family Foundation, Kathy and Richard S. Fuld Jr), Poju and Anita Zabludowicz
Tate set up the Film and Video Special Acquisitions Fund 2003 with Anita Zabludowicz. Works acquired for the Tate Collection: Christian Marclay, Video Quartet, 2002; Mark Leckey, Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore, 1999; Nick Relph & Oliver Payne, Mixtape, 2002 and Yael Bartana, Kings of The Hill, 2003.
2000 - May
Tate Modern opens and two rooms are supported by the Zabludowicz Collection - the Anita Zabludowicz Galleries are Rooms 3 & 6 on Level 4
Tamares acquire 1500 Broadway
1994 - November
First work enters the Collection. It is a small work on board by Ben Nicholson (*1894-1982), Box And Cox, 1947 purchased from Sotheby's, London, UK.